-
November 25th, 2003, 05:06 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi all I am working in super 8 with a beaulieu 4008 (about to purchase another 4008 and an r16 ). I am going to use a workprinter for my k40 transfers and pro8mm for my NEG transfers.
Anyway I am building a new pc. I wanted to know what hardware should I use for my new editing system.
I don't need anything like processors or such but I want to know what video boards you would go with, what Cameras you would buy for use with the workprinter, and so on.
Here is what I am going to be doing so if you know of any good hardware then please post. And if you know of any bundles where I can get harware and high end software together that would be great.
I need to do video capture from a workprinter.
I need a STRONG video card for video editing and animation with Lightwave 8.
I need a good monitor. I want to use plasma tv's if it is of the quality for very strict video editing.
And I need some mid to high quality video decks and monitors aswell.
I can't put but about $7 or $8 thousand into it so if you can point me in the right direction. I just got a job at a tv station and I want to be using pro type tools at home aswell. We use Adobe products at the tv station so try and pick boards that work with the Adobe video line.
Thanks
Anthony Collins
-
November 25th, 2003, 05:09 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I forgot to also ask you to include audio hardware aswell.
Thanks
-
November 25th, 2003, 09:12 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Why don't you use the workprinter to transfer your negatives? Then just invert them in editing or with your digital camera. It will cost you half as much.
-
November 26th, 2003, 01:51 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I was going to try that and see how it worked out. If it compared very well with pro8mm I was going to just get film from them and do the transfers myself. Thanks for the tip.
Thanks
Anthony Collins
-
November 26th, 2003, 02:17 AM
#5
Inactive Member
When you're done with all the testing post some stills on the board so that I can see them. I am curious about that myself.
-
November 26th, 2003, 05:59 AM
#6
Inactive Member
What about using--
www.posthouse.com
www.fsft.com
www.cinesound2.com
Or a few other places that will Xfer S8??
Good Luck
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 26, 2003 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Nigel ]</font>
-
November 26th, 2003, 07:51 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Well that all depends on how much money you have. I'll tell you what I have, and then you can feel better about basically getting any computer. Well almost any.
I have an AMD atholon Processor at 900 mhz, and an integrated capture card with two 1394 ieee ports on it, 60 megs of ram, and a 20 gig hard drive. All in a little Compaq.
There are no typos in the above paragraph.
So basically my computer is the crap of the crap if you want to transfer via firewire/ilink.
If you have a little money to spend I would get a sony viao if you are familuar with pc's, with at least a 2 gig processor, 512 mb of ram, and at least a 60 gig hard drive. I would probably just go ahead and go with the 120 gig hard drive though. If you want to use the Workprinter xp which transfers at 6 fps, you are going to need a SCSI drive these suckers spin at 15000 rpms, and some at even higher rates, and the seeking time is ziltch, but of course these drives are more expensive, and you don't need a SCSI if you are going to use the workprinter or the workprinter PRO. I don't know if Roger offers the PRO model anymore though I don't see it on his website. It transfered at 1, 2, and 3 fps.
So now you kinda have an idea on what you need and what you don't need. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I don;t know alot about computers but I know enough. Roger or someone else might correct me on some of the above info so don't run out to the store just yet.
Have fun shoppin' though,
Vespasian
-
November 27th, 2003, 12:01 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Well thats almost sad. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I've got almost 10 years in building computers and repair. I might be on the wrong kind of board to ask these questions. I just got a job at a tv station and wanted some pro type equipment. I can spend about $8k on this setup.
Thanks
Anthony Collins
-
November 27th, 2003, 01:18 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Well what is almost sad?
Do you think that we are all computer experts and shit like that or what? The computer that I mentioned above is 100% able to capture and edit DV. You don't NEED high end video cards and shit like that. I mean it's nice to have but you dont need it, and if you have 10 years in building computers you should know all this shouldn't you? I was jsut giving you my input and trying to help you out. Maybe you should take that $8K and buy a new attitude. Maybe you are in the wrong place. Go read a book, or do you need us to tell you how to do that as well?
Well that is almost sad. "my ass"
-
November 27th, 2003, 03:58 AM
#10
Inactive Member
HI. Whats the problem see the smile after that. It was just a joke. I did not try and make fun of you. I'm only running a 600mhz pc. Calm down and take a joke. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Just haveing fun.
Anthony Collins
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks